"The only joy in the world is to begin...." Cesare Pavese

"The only joy in the world is to begin...." Cesare Pavese

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Unfinished review: The Sending by Geoffrey Household

The Sending by Geoffrey Household. 1980

________

The Sending is a beguiling and strange novel. It overlaps two of my reading passions: the thriller and supernatural fiction. And it is written by one of my favorite writers, Geoffrey Household.

Household's style is spare and perfectly modulated here, as it is in dozens of works. He knows his strengths, and avoids pitfalls which entice and wreck more arrogant craftsmen.

A different hunter/hunted

I first read Rogue Male at a particularly touch time in my life, November 1992. Its authorial sanity and confidence were a tonic, if not a remedy itself.

Since then, I have read every Household paperback I could find. Even when hunting through Half Price Books stores from Leon Trotsky and James P. Cannon, I always checked under H in the fiction and mystery sections. Some times I struck gold: Watcher in the Shadows, A Rough Shoot, Dance of the Dwarves.

Household deals with skilled and resourceful men under extremes of outside pressure in these novels. (Only when rereading Rogue Male did i realize the breadth of knowledge he also offered about interior pressure.)

The inheritor returns

The polecat Meg

All of them witches

The devil explains the role of the Robin


Jay

6 January 2018





No comments:

Post a Comment